Thursday 4 March 2010

Mummy's Dead Easy "Sweet and Sour Pork"

I think everyone has those dishes from childhood that they have loved all the way into adulthood. They're so dead easy, and so wonderfully comforting. Cooking them makes you feel at home, even when you're halfway across the world (as I so often am). My mum's "sweet and sour pork" recipe is one of those. I write it in quotes because it's not technically sweet n' sour in the most conventional sense, but those two flavours are most definitely present in the sauce that the pork is cooked in. It's also one of the first things I ever made on my own in my second year of uni, when at a loss for what to make myself for supper that WASN'T pasta or chicken. It takes no time at all, and takes a minimal amounts of ingredients in the cupboard. Give it a go with some rice and some veg.

One thing I have to apologise for is my photography skills (or lack thereof). Hopefully as the blog progresses I will get better!

Mummy's Dead Easy "Sweet and Sour Pork"

2-3 pork chops (you can use pork loin if you prefer)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6. In a wide shallow dish, mix together the soy sauce, honey, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Taste to see how the sauce is; if you prefer it more sweet than sour, add more honey, and if you prefer a bit of a stronger flavour, add more soy sauce. This will yield a lot of sauce so saving the need for more soy sauce if having it with rice!
2. Allow the pork to marinade in the sauce for a good 5 minutes before you bung it in the oven.
3. Put the pork in the oven topped with the marinade/sauce for 15-20 minutes until the pork is cooked but still tender.

serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails